The integration of Financial Literacy throughout the curriculum is as ubiquitous as Media Literacy and the two are inter-related. Our students are bombarded with messages from the media, and most of the activities (i.e. social networking through Facebook, internet games) are fuelled by marketing. A quick look at Facebook shows it to be rife with games based on acquisition of goods, and real-world finances meet online games through redeemable coupons. The line between reality and artifice is blurry. Advertising Standards Canada is a great site to introduce truth in advertising and has a student-friendly video to that effect. The Media Awareness Network excels in the area of marketing tips and explains such techniques as: • credibility of information – critical eye • POV/Bias • advertising awareness • emotional/social triggers • social media isolation • brand loyalty • Buzz marketing – cool to be part of chat • commercialization of education They have a downloadable lesson for grades 6-9 on “Online Marketing to Kids” that discusses the similarities and differences between traditional marketing methods and online advertising and why the Internet is such a desirable medium for advertisers to reach young people. Student activities include a survey of the marketing techniques used on several commercial Web sites for children; the creation of a commercial Web site for kids that incorporates common marketing strategies; and an analysis of case studies about online marketing to young people.
- RT @TravWeav: Bought 1,500 bitcoin in 2011 for $2.87 each. I will pick 5 random people who retweet this and give one to each of you. Merry… 1 day ago
- @gcouros @cultofpedagogy 20 Minutes of DEAR daily. Fiction, non-fiction, graphic novel of your choice. Journal to m… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 days ago
- @TaikaWaititi Maybe out of your universe/time dimension. But why do the Klingons in Star Trek Discovery appear to b… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 days ago
- #VoiceSaveArtistFirstName Ashland 6 days ago
- RT @MargaretAtwood: Ask them what happens after the end of a) Cinderella b) Batman c) Novel of Your Choice. I wrote the piece b/c I had a… 1 week ago